(28 Nov 2019) Local and international rescue crews continued to search through the rubble of collapsed buildings in Durres on Thursday, as hopes of finding people alive waned two days after a deadly earthquake in Albania killed at least 30 and injured more than 650.
Overnight, authorities said four more people had been confirmed dead, and five more deaths were reported later on Wednesday.
Hundreds of aftershocks, some of them strong, followed the magnitude-6.4 quake that struck the country’s coastal cities before dawn on Tuesday.
Crews briefly suspended rescue operations after an aftershock with a preliminary magnitude of 5.3 struck on Wednesday afternoon.
In Durres, Albania’s second largest city on the Adriatic Sea, residents slept in tents and cars and at a soccer stadium.
Others spent the night on open ground.
The Defense Ministry said about 2,100 people were in tents, although many were being moved to local hotels, which had offered 1,500 beds so far.
Find out more about AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/HowWeWork
You can license this story through AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/youtube/98370450f4d247c6af78628a5d8aebbb